Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It began as a simple photograph


The box of plants and flowers I was sitting next to just begged to be photographed. Hues of purple and green blowing gently in the breeze, blended into a sea of blur in my mind’s eye. Instantly I knew, close up and personal would be the way to go.



You see, that’s how it usually starts for me – a simple idea.





Out came my macro lens and as I tested several angles I began to fit each graphic element together like a well-designed puzzle. Once the pieces were in place, the feeling crept up on me.

The image at hand was too red for the breezy purple and green hues I was initially attracted to ...
... so I lowered my white balance to bring out the cooler side of my image.

However, I still wasn’t completely satisfied. So, I bumped up my contrast and saturation a bit for more definition and a slightly bolder punch of color … and my message was born.

The journey is the fun part -- manipulating internal camera controls, fine-tuning feeling into a two-dimensional image, creating a world that only exists to me … leaving a path of pride, filled with every choice I made.

What began as a simple photograph turned into so much more. And it wasn’t so much about the mastery of the internal controls I tweaked to get the image … but about the insistence I had in creating the message I envisioned.

What began as a simple photograph turned into a labor of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment