Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 13 - A song that is a guilty pleasure

30 Day Music Challenge
Click here to see the entire list.

I guess a guilty pleasure is something I like that I don't really want people knowing about ... you know, maybe they'd find me odd or weird or something like that. So, I'm happy I get to lay my music fetish out here for all the world to see!

When I was a little girl, I was completely fascinated with the Tiki Room at Disneyland (Adventureland as a whole is still my favorite land). I was so enamored with the vintage Hawaiian decor and island sounds I wanted to decorate my room so I could always be in the Tiki Room (which I sort of did in my 11-year-old way with three plastic parrots I hung from my ceiling). Fast forward to today and I still get that same rush when in Disney's Tiki Room, but more importantly ... I'm now old enough to have actually traveled to the far-off land known as Hawaii.


I tell you all of this, because I really do believe my love-affair with Hawaiian music began at Disneyland and later amplified with my travels there. I like all types of Hawaiian music from the classic luau songs to the more modern stylings of Hawaiian artists such as Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (his Facing Future album is awesome). But, I am most fond of that vintage 70s sound of Hawaii I remember so clearly from my childhood. The more authentic the better and for me it doesn’t get any better than Don Ho.

So, get ready for a quick trip to vintage Hawaii ... I hear the islands singing.


Tiny Bubbles by Don Ho




I don't have this song on my iPod (in fact, I can't find a Don Ho version of it anywhere!). But, I couldn't resist adding it ... this is the ultimate vintage Hawaiian/Tiki Room song!


Little Grass Shack/Hawaiian War Chant by Don Ho



What song is your guilty pleasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment